Does the process of tattooing inflict pain?
The short answer is "yes". It does hurt when you are getting tattooed. But the amount of pain you have to might have to endure, depends on multiple factors. But, most people say, the pain was not even nearly as bad as they had imagined while coming into the studio. So, there's no need to listen to horror stories and get afraid. But, being informed helps! So, in this article, we will try to educate you with what causes the pain and how to minimize it.
The factors that can affect..
- Placement: The amount of pain mostly depends on which part of the body did you choose to get inked. While on some of your body parts, the pain may barely feel like a sting, some other body parts may be excruciatingly painful. Usually, getting a tattoo on a fleshy area is much less painful compared to the bony areas.
- Pain threshold: It should be mentioned that every person has a different pain threshold. Something that is extremely painful for person ‘A’, may not be that painful for person ‘B’.
- Size of the tattoo: Also it depends on the size of the tattoo, how prolonged the tattoo session is going to be. It's needless to say, that longer the session is, more pain it is going to cause!
- Physical condition: Make sure you are in your full health when you are getting tattooed. If you are not doing that well, your nervous system is already stressed out. In such conditions, getting tattooed can be much more painful than usual. Also, the healing process will be compromised if your immune system is not at it's best.
There are certain things that you can do to improve your tattoo experience..
- Remember why you are getting tattooed! The motivation helps the best to deal with the pain. A few hours of discomfort is of so much worth in the end!
- Distraction helps as well. Usually, there’s always music in a tattoo studio to keep you distracted. Also, if you have your own personal preferences, you are always welcome to bring some music and earphones, or something that you may want to read, or may be a tablet to watch something.
- If it’s a long session you are going for, you may want to bring somebody with you, someone you can talk to! But don’t bring more than one person. The space in a tattoo studio is often limited.
- Always have a heavy meal before you sit for a tattoo session. Otherwise, your blood sugar level can be low, increasing the chances of you passing out. Also, you can carry chocolate with yourself. It helps restore the sugar levels pretty fast.
- Don’t have any alcoholic beverages within 24 hours of your tattoo session. It thins your blood, causes you to bleed more during the session. Also, getting tattooed while fighting a hangover is not at all a nice experience to endure. And there are many other reasons why this is an extremely bad idea. Learn why
- Don’t take any Ibuprofen or aspirin (painkillers) before a tattoo session. Even they have the effect of blood thinners.
- Get a good sleep, the night before you get tattooed. The experience is much easier if your body is well rested.
- Try to be as relaxed as you can. Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes and think positive. Our minds are very powerful. They help us get through a lot of pretty bad situtations in life. (Tattoo session included)
We hope these guidelines were helpful for you. If you still have doubts you can always get in touch with us. Thanks for reading.